Friday, September 4, 2009

Reward is the WRONG word

This goes for my last post. I said reward great work, but when most people think of the word "Reward", they think of what typical managers do: cash compensations, higher benefits,etc. But I just wanted to make sure that this isn't what you all think when I say reward.

Cash compensations are nice, but can only go so far motivating innovation, but when the reward is an intrinsic value, this is what people will appreciate. When they feel empowered that they are doing something they are strong at, something they feel they are getting value for, something they can master, this is a greater "Reward" for the individual. Give them a sense that they are a part of the tribe and appreciate their hard work. Don't give them a standard and say "if this", then you will "receive this".

Appreciation is caring, so whatever way fit, show you care.


Here is an amazing video that summaries what I mean:

No comments:

Post a Comment