Thursday, January 29, 2009

Gallons of water...



My brother actually just came to visit me in Hawaii and told me this puzzle. I loved it, and want to pass it along to others...

"John's mother told him to go to the river and bring back exactly 9 gallons of water in one trip. She gave him a six gallon bucket and a five-gallon bucket to complete his task. OF course, John's mother told him she'd bake his favorite cake if he came back with the 9 gallons. 

John had his cake and ate it, too. Can you?"


I will be posting random puzzles like this probably about once a week. The answers to the current puzzle will be posted with the next puzzle. 





2 comments:

  1. he takes the five gallon and fills it up. takes the five gallon that is now filled and fills up the six gallon. again, he fills up the five gallon and fills up the six (this should get rid of one gallon= 6-5=1) He is now left with four gallons. He empties out the six gallon and fills takes the four gallons he now has and puts into the six gallon. then, he fills up the five gallon one last time. Now he has nine gallons. Yaaay, i love puzzles/riddles too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you kidding me? i just typed out the long-winded answer and it didn't work. WTH! anyway, I love riddles too!

    ReplyDelete