Thursday, August 27, 2009

My opinion on "just doing their job"

I am the president of a student organization at The University of Hawaii at Manoa, and I do a lot of interacting with other other organizations on campus, especially Business Clubs. I know most of the Presidents of these clubs, and whenever I get a chance, I ask how their clubs are doing. I am fascinated with leadership and am always looking for ways to help other leaders shape the next great leaders of tomorrow.

To be a president of an organization, you must be a leader. You must have a passion to lead your tribe towards their vision, whatever it may be. This isn't what I am seeing in my community.

I recently asked a leader how his executive team was doing, and I got a smirk with a reply of, " um... they are doing their jobs at least..." Why just do their jobs? Why not push them to exceed their potential? Why not push them to try new things?

To be a successful leader, you have to empower the others within your tribe. You have to create an emotional connection where they want to do things on their own to make the tribe move towards their vision. Mark Horoszowski simply challenges leaders think about "how do you empower and set others free to create lasting value?"

If you are a leader and you describe your team as "just doing their job", you might want to think of new leadership tactics because this means they aren't taking their projects as their own. They aren't making the most of the opportunities they have, they aren't bringing new ideas to the table, they are simply, "just doing their job".

No comments:

Post a Comment